Sunday, March 6, 2011

Transformers, Robots in Disguise.

Seminary was a crazy life changing experience. I spent 5 years of my life on a tiny campus in Northern California. I was amongst many others who were there to also obtain a degree. The common needs and difficulties bonded friendships in a way that college did not. Then I graduated and moved 10 miles north. Not so far, right? Yet it might as well been a thousand miles for all loneliness that ensued in the following two years. I spent the first year working two jobs, serving in two churches and knowing that there was more to life than what I was doing. By the second year I was down to one church and one job. However I had exited all semblance of a social life. I was serving in a church plant (read not a lot of people in my church). I was working in three different schools (read not a whole lot of time to build relationships with the other staff) I was lonely and living the life of an introvert. I knew the TV schedule from 3-10 pm on too many stations to count. I was discontented with my life.

 I know that only a fool repeats the same plan and expects a change in the results. Therefore over the summer I set out to make some changes in my life. Interestingly the theme for my computer curriculum was all about goals this year and I knew I needed to make many goals. I June, I began learning the piano. I know that seems like more alone time, but for me it was a step because it removed me from the couch. Then in August, I began changing my eating habits. I used the Food Pyramid website to track my intake and adjusted my diet to include more fruit, vegetables, and dairy. I was overloading on bread, grains, and meats. It took time to find the fruits and veggies I would gravitate toward. Then in early November I had an urge to go for a run. Now for those who don't know me, I do not like to run. It is strange now I usually run 3-4 times a week. I go about a mile and I still don't like running. However the post run feeling is worth every torturous step. I am healthier than I have been since high school. I used to say that exercise took to much time. It does not.

So here I am March 2011. Change is still in the air. I sense the stagnation that had settled over me as I adjusted to life after seminary is being peeled off layer by layer like an onion. My inner and outer self is being transformed into something beautiful (yes I meant to quote the song). There is something coming and my transformation is only the beginning.

No comments :

Post a Comment