Friday, October 23, 2009

From Ignorance of Guinness


I finished The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield and cannot stop sharing about this great book with my friends, my coworkers, my family and almost anyone who will listen. Beginning with Arthur, the founder of Guinness Brewery, the book chronicles the family of Guinness. It tells the stories of Guinness men and their comrades who were missionaries, brewers, public officials, and doctors. The stories unique biographical take on this family with far reaching impacts, intentionally draws a line through a lineage of religion and public benevolence.

After I chose to review the book, I began to have second thoughts. What was I, who had never consumed Guinness, doing reviewing book about the great brewing family. Then I began to read the book and was enthralled. Helping start Sunday Schools in England and supporting Hudson Taylor in China were things I immediately connected with. Yet their benevolence also goes deep into the heart of Dublin and through that all of Ireland and the Irish people. The why is explained in the book. One example still paying dividends is the Iveagh trust, which is still provides affordable housing, started as part of the Guinness plan for urban restoration.
This book was reviewed for Thomas Nelson Publishing. For more information on the book, visit their product page In Search of God and Guinness.

1 comment :

  1. Wasn't that an amazing book! And that Sundays Schools were controversial (and almost all day long). And the Guinness Book of Records, just a little pamplet.

    I did go buy a six-pack to try but it's not my favorite. I do like the darker beers but the Guinness is just a bit too strong of a flavor.

    ReplyDelete