Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Revolutionary Paul Revere by Joel J Miller

The Revolutionary Paul Revere
by Joel J Miller

The Revolutionary Paul Revere was an engaging book, which has inspired me to read more American History, and become more acquainted with the current political scene. I am a fan of well written biographies, and so when asked if I would review the book, I accepted. I had been in a bit of a book slump. I had a stack of recent books not finished from lack of interest or from lack of quality. This book however continues my new trend of some excellent books.

I chose to review Joel Miller’s The Revolutionary Paul Revere, because I thought it would be a good opportunity to learn about a key figure in the American Revolution. I was blown away by chapter after chapter of fascinating particulars. Joel Miller made the life of Paul come to life again. I had no idea smiths created engravings of pictures and songs sheets for publishers. Along with his life, the life of the revolution sprang alive. Thanks to this book, I also more clearly comprehend many nuances of the war I wasn’t taught in school. Already knew things like the stamp act and the tea duty lead towards the war, but now I clearly get why these were particularly a problem to the colonists. The details of the revolution as told centering around the life of Paul Revere is brilliantly crafted, elegantly organized, and brimming with details of the day.

Here is why I recommend the book. When it comes to books, wanting to read another book by the same author is high praise. I will definitely be checking out his other two books. When it comes to non-fiction, authors who inspire the reader to continue delving into a subject are to be counted as successes. I want to read more about Paul Revere, more about the American Revolution, and more about the details of protests against governmental developments. When it comes to biographies, an eagerness to read more rather than put the book aside is a sure sign of superb authorship. Usually I read non-fiction in conjunction with a fiction book, while all my books have been set aside while I read this book. Finally, this book has changed my summer plans. I’ve read loads of books on British history, but spend surprisingly little time study the history of my own country. This book inspires me to become more informed and actively seeking out the truth behind the headlines.


The Revolutionary Paul Revere is Joel Miller’s third book. He also authored Bad Trip(2004) and Size Matters(2006). He has also worked as editor, and He currently is a VP in the non-fiction division of Thomas Nelson Publishers.


This book was given to me by Phenix & Phenix literary publicists. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255

The Revolutionary Paul Revere at Borders
 
Joel J Miller's Website 
 
The Coming of the American Revolution by the Massachusetts Historical Society.

No comments :

Post a Comment