Friday, December 11, 2009

Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society



Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows was a delightful read. I often have three or four books going at a time and I stopped all others to read straight through. I loved the correspondence format and how the characters were introduced through letters. The book never changes to play by play or typical narrative, but continues to present the people in Juliet’s life and on the Isle of Guernsey through each others’ eyes. Set in the mid 1940’s the authors provide the reader with a poignant view of the lives of people in England and Guernsey and directly after World War II.

This was Mary Ann Shaffer’s only novel and it is brilliant. When Juliet received a letter from Guernsey, her life altered course. Dawsey, Amelia, and Eben among others come alive through a correspondence that charts the changes of the lives of each person in the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society.

I found this book on my own and purchased it for two simple reasons. First, It was possibly about the Island Guernsey, which I have been intregued by. Second, it had a very interesting title. On the first I love historical books about the English and I love reading about Islands, particularily the ones which are in temperate zones. On the second, this book has been out for a while and I have picked it up numerous times because it's title is so eye catching. All this being said, I won't ruin discovering the origin of the society's name for potential readers. Check out the book, you too may find a new treasure.

No comments :

Post a Comment