Friday, January 8, 2010

Innocent Traitor by Alison Wier



I checked this book out from my local library. I'll give almost any Tudor book a try, and I am especially a sucker for Lady Jane Grey. This is the third book I have read about her. Innocent Traitor was brilliantly written. Alison Wier moves among the various main characters providing the reader a glimpse into the mind Northumberland, Lady Jane, Mrs. Ellen, Jane's parents, and many others. She titled each section with who was narrating, the location of the action and the date it was occuring. That was very helpful.

While there was much in the novel that was true to the biography of Lady Jane Grey, the book is a novel. By writing it as a novel instead of a biography, Alison Wier was able to infer and fill in gaps to bring the story into full bloom. If you have never read a story about Lady Jane Grey, this is a great start to learning about her. If you have read and enjoyed stories about her life, this is a great additional story about her.
I'd give this a 4 out of 5.

3 comments :

  1. Jane Grey is one of the people from the Tudor time that I haven't read anything about yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read anything about Jane Grey but your review has me intrigued. I'll put this on my wish list. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this one. I have read several of Alison Weir's non-ficiton biographies and I was glad she decided to write ficiton as well. Love her stuff.

    ReplyDelete