Monday, February 8, 2010

Ophelia, (yes Hamlet's Ophelia)

Ophelia by Lisa Klein was a find in the YA section of my local library. I remember falling in love with the story of Hamlet my senior year in high school. We read Hamlet, we watched Hamlet, and then we watched Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. Since then I have always enjoyed Hamlet adventures. So, imagine my excitement at getting to read the story of Hamlet from the perspective of Ophelia. Lisa Klein has re-imagined the story of Hamlet through the eyes of Ophelia.

Unfortunately, I cannot say that I loved this book. The book started out brilliantly. Ophelia narrates beginning as a young girl. However, I had a difficult time during the middle part of the book. I almost gave up on the book, but I was curious about how the book was going to conclude. I am glad that I finished the book. If you are a fan of Hamlet, the end is worth perseverence.


This book is part of the Historic Fiction Challenge 2010

No comments :

Post a Comment