Thursday, February 18, 2010

To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of those required books I read in school. As my 7th grade computer class is reading it Literature and doing an extension project in computers, I thought I would reread the classic text. I am so glad I did. Harper Lee did a superb job crafting her novel.


Summary: Scout Finch is the daughter of Atticus, a lawyer in Maycomb, Alabama. The book covers a few years of her childhood. When her father is appointed as the defense attourny of a black man against a white family, Scouts idyllic existence begins to erode. Scout and her brother Jem learn about the harsh realities within 1930’s Alabama. Through various members of her family and town Scout discovers racial issues, class differences, and most importantly standing up for what is right.

Review: The book is worthy of classic status. The book was meticulously researched. Details about the Great Depression, the state of Alabama, and the current events of the time were integrated into the story to create a natural memoir feel to the text. It even included a section about Alabama in the Rose bowl. Personally I know they were in the Rose Bowl multiple times during the 1930’s. The book also deals with cultural issues of the south in the 1930’s. The racial issues in the book are well developed and complicated, which carried a Scout through understanding the society she was growing up within. Her father chided them to not take advantage of those who were easy prey. He aunt, while displaying her own prejudices, urged her to be proud of history. Her community displayed the best and the worst humanity offered. Lastly, the mockingbirds, which do no harm, are explained on multiple levels.

Recommendation: A Resounding Yes (5 out of 5). If you have not read it, find a copy and give it a go. If you have read it as a child but have forgotten it, it is worth a reread. I am certainly glad I picked it up.

This book is also part of the 451 Challenge 2010

2 comments :

  1. I have seen the movie with Gregory Peck a million times but never read the book. I think I will make a point to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I LOVED this book, too! I even named my dog Scout! :)

    ReplyDelete